Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Wish I was still asleep...


Consciousness flickered against my brain, lightly tickling it awake. I felt well rested, more well rested than I can remember feeling in ages; as though I'd slept for days. Okay, time to open the eyes, and face the day.

Eyes open, pitch black.

Blink. Okay, where am I? This doesn't feel like my bed, and if it was, I should be able to see something. It's never this dark in my room. The neon from the store across the street always sneaks through the blind, spilling across the ceiling, highlighting the cracks with it's unhealthy glow.

But nothing now.

Suddenly, I feel a little claustrophobic. I can feel a slight pressure to either side of me, as though I'm surrounded by pillows. I reach out slowly, and touch satin. Cushioned satin.

My heart skips a beat, and I swallow hard. I know where I am.

Can't panic... panic is going to make it worse.

Like this could get any worse, my brain titters.

Two deep breaths silence the skittering panic.

Okay. I'm in a coffin.

Panic tangos across my consciousness.

Two more deep breaths.

How did I get here? Where was I last? Last night... last night we went to the bar. Tommy was there. Kate. Who else? Baz? Yeah, Baz was there. We had some shots... Kate sang karaoke. We had a few more shots. There was that stunning brunette...

Damnit, why can't I remember more?

What does it matter if you remember or not? You're still in a coffin. My brain was doing it's best to piss me off.

Okay, what do we do. We're in a coffin. Let's see if we can push the lid up a little. No give.

Great.

Two deep breaths.

And now I have to pee. You never see this in movies. The protags never seem to have to pee. Must be nice to not have a bladder.

Five minutes pass, breathing deep to keep the panic from setting in. My bladder is close to becoming a sharp pain, urging me to find a way out. I don't want someone to open this coffin, find me dead, and coated in urine. For some reason, I find that embarassing.
Deep breaths. I won't be found dead. I'll find a way to get out.

Or you won't be found at all, my brain replies.

You are one sick bastard, I retort.

No response. My brain has apparently decided that it's done enough damage for now.

Deep breaths.

Waitadamnminute. Deep breaths? It's getting stale in here. How much air in a coffin? Wish I'd watched Mythbusters more closely.

Got to slow down my breathing.

Panic waltzes through. I resist the temptation to breathe deeply.

Shit. How did I get here.

Does it even matter any more?


5 Comments:

Blogger Action Randall said...

Your post gave me agita, you bastard... I'm a little closterphobic, as I’m guessing you are as well. Why do you think I ride a motorcycle?... haha
So... You feelin’ a little stress in your life?

January 11, 2005 1:22 p.m.  
Blogger Surly Canuck said...

Agita was not intended my friend... well, actually, yes it was. I'm working on being able to develop more tension in my writing. =)

I am a bit claustrophobic, which along with arachnophobia are the only ones I haven't been able to shake. This is based off a dream that I've been having recently, which amuses me a little, as I can't think of any stress that I'm feeling in my life that wasn't there already

January 11, 2005 1:59 p.m.  
Blogger R.G. Ryan said...

Yo, Vag...how come I haven't known about your blog before now? You rock! And thanks for (as my son would tell me) the "big-ups" on my blog. I'll blogroll you, you talented son-of-a-bitch! Damn, you and Harley. I despise you both! Damn! (grin)

BTW the name's Sean. The blog is, well, you know...

January 11, 2005 2:24 p.m.  
Blogger Action Randall said...

We got a lot in common. I always said that if spiders ever evolved to the point where they could fly... I would kill myself. That's a world I couldn't live in.

January 11, 2005 2:26 p.m.  
Blogger Surly Canuck said...

Sean - Cool man... I've only been around a week, so... =) Thanks for the kind words.

Harley - Flying spiders. Damn, now I'm never gonna sleep again. It's kind of embarassing really, but I get all light headed when there's spiders around. Still have to turn my head in Return of the King for the spider part. It's sad really... maybe some day I'll rent Eight Legged Freaks and try to get over it.

Other bugs, no worries. It's just those damned spiders.

Vag

January 11, 2005 2:53 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home