Monday, July 25, 2005

Too much to say (Or Gravy Part 1)

I have a number of different things that I want to blog about, but no time to do it in. Though I do have my two trainees doing all the filing I've put off for the past 11 months, so that'll keep them out of my hair for a while.

Would love to recount my adventures in movie-copdom, but that's really something I'd need to take my time for. So I'll regale you with a tale of the worlds most obnoxious wedding table mate.

Attended a wedding this weekend for one of Gal's co-workers (who by the way I've met once (and who also apparently received her dress at 4 am the morning of her wedding)). Traditional Catholic ceremony, semi-traditional chinese ceremony. Basically lots of courses (10) mostly with food I don't eat. But I tried (but didn't necessarily enjoy) a lot of it.

I'd met Obnoxious-Guest once before at some guy's birthday dinner. I'd concluded within about 10 minutes of talking to him that I was going to seriously dislike him. Ten minutes after that, I started taking odds from myself as to whether I was going to tell him to pound sand or not.

I don't suffer fools (gladly or not), but I generally don't take a strong dislike to them. I can't count on one hand the number of people that I've contemplated physical violence against, simply due to their idiocy. This fellow is one of them.

He is, to hear him tell it, a genius; apparently deeply knowledgeable on any and every subject, and delights in discussing any and all topics.

A few highlights:

Argued with one of our table mates about the similarities between the Chinese and Japanese character sets. Ob-Gee has been studying Japanese for 5 months. His conversation mate is fluent in Mandarin and Cantonese as well as English. And the traditional and simplified character sets.

The argument with a Hindi guest about something that I didn't understand, but was quite sure from the expressions he was getting that he was full of crap.

Tried to argue with me on several different topics (movies, European history, the relation between atheists and morals) but I wasn't going to take the bait. The fact that he was out of arms reach might have had something to do with it. Not to mention that verbally demolishing an idiot, while fun, is not especially fulfilling.

Aside from the fact he's an ignorant putz... who the hell argues with people you don't know... at a wedding reception no less! A wedding reception that you are attending because your mother is a co-worker of the bride?

My hat is off to you Ob-Gee, you are a bigger ass than I thought you were. And that is quite an accomplishment.

8 Comments:

Blogger Shawn said...

Kudos to you for being able to make it through the dinner!! For whatever reason, that type of person comes a dime a dozen in certain Toronto University graduate programs, making it their life to constantly irritate the hell out of people who just want to graduate rather than prove how "smart" they are. Oh well. I hope the latter part of the reception worked out better for you as the meal doesn't sound like it was that great for you either.

July 25, 2005 2:03 p.m.  
Blogger PomHeart said...

see being a girl i woulda just "accidently" spilled wine all over him then batted my eyelashes as i "appologized" and by appologize i mean give him a glare as though he wasn't a worthy resting place for my cheapo glass of red.

that or i would have emasculated him loudly.

July 25, 2005 4:30 p.m.  
Blogger Surly Canuck said...

Shawn - How I've grown, eh?

Wendy - I was told that I was to be on my best behaviour. =) I like your 'apology' by the way...

July 25, 2005 4:55 p.m.  
Blogger deanne said...

I'm with Wendykat on the spilling thing. I hate 'know-it-alls'!

July 26, 2005 5:59 a.m.  
Blogger PomHeart said...

best behavior best shmehavior... that's the point of weddings... i mean, why else would they give you free booze? what? oh, it's to celebrate?... oh well, that's lame.

my brother got piss drunk at my mom's wedding. and i got groped by my stepdad to everyones amusement (stupid dj with his stupid garter belt games.. gross!) anyway, i should go to therapy now, byeeee.

July 26, 2005 1:55 p.m.  
Blogger SC&A said...

I've been to that vey wedding.

July 27, 2005 11:18 a.m.  
Blogger Action Randall said...

Life's too short to talk to a jackass.
I would spread that around but nobody ever talks to me.

July 27, 2005 1:06 p.m.  
Blogger Surly Canuck said...

SC&A - I always have fun at weddings... this one was just a little less fun.

Harley - Well, it's really your own fault then isn't it? =)

July 28, 2005 5:12 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home