Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Another day on its way

Don't the hours grow shorter as the days go by
You never get to stop and open your eyes
One minute you're waiting for the sky to fall
The next you're dazzled by the beauty of it all
- Bruce Cockburn - Lovers in a Dangerous Time

That pretty much sums up my day. Ups and downs all.

Anyhow, saw The Village last night. I didn't manage to catch it in the theatres, and I kept hearing people complaining about it, saying it was terrible.

Now, I'm the worst person to watch these sorts of movies with. Most of them I figure out within the first half of the film, though I know enough to keep my mouth shut. Most of MNS's films have a big 'twist' in them, which is what seems to get focussed on.

Personally, I think he's an inspirational writer and filmmaker. If I could write half as well as he does, I'd be making a mint. The man is brilliant, and I think his films will be studied years from now as examples of thematic excellence. In fact, I'd love to teach that class. =)

I won't spoil the film, but the best advice I can give if you haven't seen it, is forget about the so-called twist. This is just a really good story, and way more enjoyable to watch if you don't try to disect it as you're watching it.

And if you figure out how to do that, tell me how.

I can't help but deconstructing a film as I watch it. Since I started working on films, and writing scripts, I find myself viewing every film, TV show and commercial with a critical eye. Kind of a bummer really, but I do learn a lot.

I'm to the point where I catch wardrobe inconsistencies, period goofs, editing gaffes and so on. But, on the plus side, I'm much more forgiving of these blunders. It's a test of wills to make a film, regardless of your budget, and considering everything that can (and does) go wrong, it's amazing any ever get made.

A friend of mine has this saying - Those that can, do. Those that can and love, teach. Those who can't and won't, criticize.


4 Comments:

Blogger Surly Canuck said...

Hey LCN... Nope, doesn't make you one of those. I don't necessarily buy into that saying (specifically the last bit). Love your Blog BTW.

January 12, 2005 1:07 p.m.  
Blogger Action Randall said...

I agree, Vag... I'm a huge fan of M. Knight. I've read all his screenplay's. He's good at everything... so I hate him too...

By the way... Remember when we wrote screenplay's?... Those were some good times... haha

January 12, 2005 1:35 p.m.  
Blogger Surly Canuck said...

When we wrote screenplays? Yeah, vaguely remember that. I'm getting the crap beat out me right now by my current one, to the point where I'm sick of looking at it.

Maybe it's time to start something else.

January 12, 2005 1:43 p.m.  
Blogger R.G. Ryan said...

Screenplays? Did someone say screenplays? You mean I'm not the only fool on the planet???? For your information, I've had my scripts rejected by the top names in the business. The very top!!! So there! Bastards.

Sean

January 12, 2005 2:52 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home