Tuesday, April 12, 2005

I've grown to love blogs

I am, by my very nature, a solitary person. I used to be very social, the sophisticate clown, always ready with a wry remark or carefully considered put-down. The zing was my thing.

Not so much any more. I'm not sure where that Vagabond went, whether he'll come back, or even if he will. Is it age? The sapping of my will by mind numbing, soul stealing tasks, meant only to garner one more paycheque? Or is it simply growing up? And would I accept him if he came back?

With the change I've fallen away from friends and family in some ways. With Gal in my life, I've become occupied with 'couple' things, as is wont to happen. Don't think I resent that; it's merely a changing of priorities. But sometimes I do wistfully think back to a time where all my free time was spent willingly and joyfully with friends.

In the intervening years from University to now, I've fallen out of touch in a lot of ways with friends. Part of it was moving to different cities, first an hour away, now twelve. Part was an unco-operative job schedule which naturally isolated me from people with regular 9-5's. Part was me.

But in the past few weeks, I felt some of that distance shrink, thanks to blogs. I know more about how friends are feeling than I did when I wasn't 800 miles away (somehow, 1200 kilometers doesn't convey the same emotion). And for that, I'd like to say thanks! And thanks for sharing. And I miss you all. And that's too many 'And' extensions.

And to the new friends I've made exclusively through blogging, thanks to you as well. I've never made friends easily or quickly, but there are many of you I consider as such. I've learned more of the world outside of my head in the past months than I ever thought possible. I never really put much thought into the idea that you could be friends with someone you've never met... but there's lots of you I'd love to sit down for a beer with, and just shoot the shit.

Pretty deep for a Tuesday morning... I'm going to blame the hayfever meds.

12 Comments:

Blogger mare said...

you ol' softie. don't worry. we won't tell.

scott m. would say it's because it's your saturn return year.

April 12, 2005 2:37 p.m.  
Blogger Surly Canuck said...

I don't think I have to return my car... just paid the damn thing off!

April 12, 2005 3:04 p.m.  
Blogger R.G. Ryan said...

Vag...I feel you, bra! So many good folks here in blogland. It's a new community. I pity those who choose not to participate.

Seeing as how you are my vocal doppleganger...I suppose I should call you friend. And I do.

April 12, 2005 4:12 p.m.  
Blogger PomHeart said...

damn those antihistamines!

April 12, 2005 4:20 p.m.  
Blogger Surly Canuck said...

Mare - by the way, I'll deny the softie part. =)

Sean - As do I my friend, as do I.

Wendykat - Damned if I do them, damned if I don't. =)

It's suprising the nice people around, especially considering the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory

April 12, 2005 4:45 p.m.  
Blogger mare said...

saturn return year: when you're a certain age that we both are, the planet saturn returns into your horoscope. which means big changes in your life... taking on responsibilities, etc.

re: car. you still have that thing? i have an aveo, it's cute and blue.

and you would so deny, and we would so pursue the subject. obsessively. unremittingly. through multiple media.

April 12, 2005 7:05 p.m.  
Blogger liz said...

I'm not sure what it is about these things. I would never email all you guys every day detailing the mundane happenings of my life, yet I seem to have lots of people checking my blog every day to see what I'm up to. You're right, it's especially great to keep up with people who live far away. Nice to know you haven't forgotten about us :) Wish you could come down here more often than once a year though. Anything in the cards for this summer?

April 12, 2005 11:08 p.m.  
Blogger Surly Canuck said...

Ah... well, seeing as I'm not so much an astrology person, I'll give you an enh, Mare.

Liz: Know what you mean re: posting odd stuff. I try not to censor myself much/at all in the blog, so long as I can keep it relatively anon.

Dunno about this summer, what with Agent and Job Search 2005 going on. Maybe in the fall, but no promises then either. Of course, if I win the lotto this Friday...

April 13, 2005 9:33 a.m.  
Blogger mare said...

i tell you what, i'll plan a trip to ontario so you'll know when i won't be around so you can visit. :P

April 13, 2005 12:21 p.m.  
Blogger Action Randall said...

You're alright, Vag!
Just for that, I'll refrain from posting in my I-really-hate-Vagabond-but-he-doesn't-know-it blog for the next 3, no, make it 4 days!

Seriously though, we go back to IMDb old school, bro-ham. I feel fortunate to have met you. Now let's make some movies!

April 13, 2005 3:15 p.m.  
Blogger Scum said...

The thing I love about blogs is being able to read and keep up with everybody. Hell, I only live 30 minutes out of town, and still the touch is lost.

The thing I hate is that I feel obligated to post to my own blog, but find I have little to say. It's not easy to put it out there like that all the time. Especially now that I know "The Consort" reads my blog. Makes me self edit a bit more.

April 15, 2005 6:16 p.m.  
Blogger Wanting said...

I was very sick a couple of years ago...and I never told a lot of people...but I was always able to get on here and realize how much they cared about me. It's your life...do with it what you want...and the joy will follow...

April 16, 2005 6:30 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home