Tuesday, May 17, 2005

The Idiot-ification of the World

Maybe I'm the asshole. Well, I am, but that's not really the issue here.

When did we decide that we would put up with people being stupid?

Our co-workers, our friends, our families, our elected officials, our clients, our customers?

There's a line that's been crossed somewhere, and I think we need to get back to it.

Let us say that in the course of my numerous positions with numerous companies, that I've become disenchanted with how things are done.

Apparently, in order to ensure adequate results, one now needs to communicate in such a way that the possibility of any thought, (mis)interpretation, or potential for even the remotest type of confusion be removed.

Let us say that a widget is currently named WidgetA. It has, in fact, been mispriced at $25 when it should be $5 less.

Is it wrong of me to think that the following message is clear?

"Please reprice WidgetA to $20. Thanks."

Should I instead, as suggested, use the following message?

**********

"Currently our widget product has the wrong price, which you may or may not have been aware of.
It is currently priced at $25.
Our widget product should be priced at $20.
Please contact me if you require clarification, or if you have any questions regarding the repricing of our widget product.
Once again, please reprice our widget product (WidgetA) from $25 to the new price ($20).

Thanks.

WidgetA now is $20"

**********

Now, I'm certain that whomever is going to rename this, can assume that if we are asking for a change, we want it changed from it's current state to the new state.

Personally (and maybe I'm sensitive) I find this degree of 'clarity' to be painful and somewhat insulting. If you think I'm such an idiot as to not be able to determine from the first message what needs to be done, then you should have me fired.

My experience has shown me that when those less talented at communication try to make things abundently clear, they tend to pollute the issue, eventually making it less clear.

When did we decide it was okay to hire idiots? If you have to coddle people by assuming they are stupid, isn't that really creating more work for yourself? Has the assumed basic level of intelligence fallen so low?

By treating people like idiots, aren't we just creating more idiots? Doesn't fostering incompetence encourage it? And if not encourage it, doesn't it discourage competence?

Don't get me wrong, I'll be the first to point out that most people are stupid. I just wouldn't hire them.

5 Comments:

Blogger acw said...

Peter's Principle

May 18, 2005 12:21 p.m.  
Blogger Surly Canuck said...

I wholeheartedly believe in the Peter Principle... but it's sad when you apparently don't even need any qualifications to get hired...

When even an entry level position is beyond your competence...

*sigh* Glad my contract is up in June. I can go somewhere else, and be exposed to new incompetents and incompetence.

May 18, 2005 12:51 p.m.  
Blogger Scum said...

Stupid idiots.

May 18, 2005 1:11 p.m.  
Blogger liz said...

Friggin' political correctness. It's made everything go to hell. You can't tell someone they're an idiot anymore because it wouldn't be "PC".

May 18, 2005 3:34 p.m.  
Blogger Surly Canuck said...

That's why I'm thinking of switching from "idiot" to "fucking numbskull". Or "Ass-breather".

I haven't completely decided.

May 18, 2005 3:49 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home