Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Alas Poor Yorrick!

I'm an over-thinker. It's one of my biggest failings. I'm almost completely incapable of doing something without thinking it through. Probably because on the rare occasions I've done things without thinking them through, I've realized I should have done things differently.

I'm Hamletian in my ability to overthink. Which makes it amazing to me that I'm ever able to accomplish anything.

Anyway, the reason I'm thinking about being an overthinker (or pulling a Hamlet, as I've been chastised for doing) is something that my gal noted.

She's great, by the way, and is so perceptive about me that it freaks me out, and makes me love her even more.

Anyhow, she noted that anytime we go anywhere with a whole bunch of people (say a bar or party), I'm wiped out and grumpy the next day. Now, I don't drink much (anymore) so it's certainly not the drink.

It turns out I'm an intorvert. For those who don't know (I didn't), Extroverts are those that gain energy by being around people, and lose energy by being alone. Introverts are the opposite.

Now those that know me are likely laughing right now, as the thought of me as an introvert is silly. I'm outspoken, occasionally loud, no-bs taking, call 'em as I see 'em, though sometimes politically astute person.

But, the more I think about it, I've never been big on groups. I'm never the first to leave a shindig, but rarely the last. And I don't do social scenes back to back without at least some downtime first.

Which is part of the reason why I think the last year has been a little tougher than normal for me. First off, my gal and I are living together for the first time. New experience for me, but must admit, I'm enjoying it. Fortunately, we work somewhat different shifts so we get short breaks from each other, which lets both of us keep our sanity.

But, we also have two roomates as well. Both of who are childhood friends of the gal. But... well, I'm not much of a people person. One I get along with fine, the other not so much. Or at all, really.

On the plus side, Gal and I are getting our own place come April. I won't even mind the move this time. So that means, it's time to start the great apartment hunt 2005.

After having 9 different addresses in the past 7 years, I'm looking forward to staying put for a year or two.

5 Comments:

Blogger Action Randall said...

I love to write and learn about people... but I hate being around them too much... haha.
Thomas Mann called that "Erotic Irony" I believe... To love something for it's faults, thereby bashing the things you love...
Soooo over-thinking. What's that like? :)

January 12, 2005 4:07 p.m.  
Blogger Surly Canuck said...

Hehe, Erotic Irony. I like that.

Overthinking is fun
It can't be beat
If I was an overthinker
It would be neat.

Wait, I am. So I guess it's neat. Or nifty. Or something like that.

January 12, 2005 5:00 p.m.  
Blogger R.G. Ryan said...

Vag,

I'd love to talk to you about your screenwriting adventures. I sent "Harley" a long e-mail today detailing my own journey through, um, you know...um, the hell that is the life of an aspiring screenwriter. E-mail me: gr82nz@hotmail.com and we'll tell lies about our great accomplishments. You first! :)

Sean

January 13, 2005 7:34 p.m.  
Blogger Action Randall said...

Hey man! You better not be off doing something constructive!

January 18, 2005 8:39 a.m.  
Blogger Surly Canuck said...

Nope, nothing constructive... just heavy doses of pain killers as a result of a medical misadventure.

Sean - I'd be happy to fire you an email right after the fuzzies clear from about my head.

Oh, and Harley... I took up Kyle H. on his script offer. Well, his writing sample was pretty awful. If I didn't think he was full of it before, I sure as heck do now.

January 19, 2005 11:57 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home