Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Quandry

I've got one.

So I'm starting on the job hunt, and my Dad caught wind of it.

As I've aluded to before, my Dad and I haven't always gotten along. In fact, we started getting along better once I moved out, and a lot better when he moved 1200 kms away.

Anyhow, he's asked me to send him a copy of my resume, and that he'd "put a word in" at Big Company where he just became a VP.

Now obviously, I wouldn't be working in any sort of area where I could end up reporting to him. But, he's one of 6 VPs. So I'd end up in one of their chain's of command.

And to give further context, my Dad is one of those people you either love or hate... and I'd say more lean towards the latter.

I can't help but think that absolutely nothing good can come from he and I working for the same company.

Plus, what if we were in a meeting together? Everyone calls him Mr. Vagabond... do I call him Dad? Mr. Dad?

Is my resistance to the idea because he suggested it? Pride? Good sense? Laziness (always a good bet for me)?

9 Comments:

Blogger EcamirG said...

Pride. Afraid to owe something to him beyond the standard, "Hey, dad. Appreciate the chromosomes."

Leastwise, that'd be my thinking.

March 02, 2005 3:41 p.m.  
Blogger Action Randall said...

What kind of company is it? Does it have anything to do with it's just not the kind of work you wanna be doing? And taking the job would be admitting to your dad that your other pursuits were pipe-dreams.

March 02, 2005 4:56 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't do it. don't even consider it. wipe any thoughts of this scheme from your brain. it's an idea that is filled with foreboding and doom.

wow, aren't i cheery today.

March 02, 2005 7:39 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't do it. don't even consider it. wipe any thoughts of this scheme from your brain. it's an idea that is filled with foreboding and doom.

wow, aren't i cheery today.

March 02, 2005 7:39 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't do it. don't even consider it. run screaming away from the idea now. or not so much with the screaming... how about run smirking away from the idea now? of course, not so much with the running either but you get the drift. it's an idea that is filled with doom and foreboding.

wow, i'm cheery today.

March 02, 2005 7:41 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't do it. it's an idea that reeks of doom and foreboding. you should run screaming from this idea. or, you know, slink away with a smirky grin, whatever.

bad idea!!!!!

March 03, 2005 8:37 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha ha, the three posts at different times is because none of them would save. sorry 'bout that.

though you can see the evolution of the idea. i think version #3 is the tightest but version #2 sounds most like me.

March 03, 2005 8:38 a.m.  
Blogger Surly Canuck said...

G - It probably is a large dose of Pride.

HW - Telecom co. Not at all what I want to be doing. Plus, if something cool comes up acting or film wise, how do I bail on a company that my Dad got me into.

Kate - I do know what you mean... and I think that's part of what I struggle with. I'll never be able to be 100% sure it's me who got the job, and not my Dad's son.

Mare - So... can you be clearer? I'm not sure what you're getting at. Though I do like the "slink away with a smirky grin". That sounds a lot like me.

March 03, 2005 9:34 a.m.  
Blogger Scum said...

To echo mare... Flip top head and a wire brush. Use them to wipe the idea clean.

March 08, 2005 12:49 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home