Wednesday, April 20, 2005

New Career

So I've been thinking about what I should do if I grow up. I really should start looking into one of these career thing-a-majigies... I think I might make this a regular feature. Post a job, and I'll weigh the pros and cons; feel free to chime in.

Today's career:

Police Officer
Pros:
Get to carry a gun
Don't have to think about what to wear to work
Pretty decent pay
Benefits package
Company car
Neat gadgets like walkies, handcuffs, pepper spray, baton and hopefully a taser.
No more speeding tickets

Cons:
Odd hours
Getting shot at
Not being allowed to use gun, pepper spray and/or taser willy nilly
Possibility of ending up on COPS or Most Amazing Police Chases
Silly looking hat
Apparently there's a physical component
Allegedly can't shoot suspects instead of chasing them down

9 Comments:

Blogger PomHeart said...

pro: handcuffs. mmmmm handcuffs.........uhm con? definately getting shot at.

although, my friend is a cop and he would confiscate pot and well, you know...

April 20, 2005 4:43 p.m.  
Blogger Alexandrialeigh said...

Oooh!

Do garbage collector, financial planner, freelancer writer (eek!), Jeopardy game show host, or...librarian.

Puh-leeeeeze!!

April 20, 2005 5:58 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. canadian cops don't just shoot people instead of chasing after them?

no wonder there's no gta: toronto.

April 21, 2005 3:08 a.m.  
Blogger mare said...

there is a GTA - toronto. everyone gets in their car and drives at a reasonable speed, stopping courteously at the red lights, and arrives safely at their destinations.

oh, that's so wrong. i've driven in toronto. better would be gta - montreal though, for the insanity.

April 21, 2005 10:27 a.m.  
Blogger Surly Canuck said...

WendyKat - I don't find that hard to believe... =)

Al- I'll pick one of those to do next, probably tomorrow.

Mare & donut - Got confused at the GTA: Toronto ref; GTA as Greater Toronto Area seems permanently embedded in my head.

I'd drive in T.O. any and every day of the week over driving in Montreal. At least in T.O. I can be fairly sure the other drivers aren't trying to kill me and themselves.

April 21, 2005 12:26 p.m.  
Blogger EcamirG said...

con: get mistaken for a village person.

happens to me all the time, and i'm not even a cop. it sucks!

April 21, 2005 12:39 p.m.  
Blogger Surly Canuck said...

Never been mistaken for a village person.

Though there was that time with the fishnets, push up bra, and combat boots....

Uh, never mind.

April 21, 2005 3:38 p.m.  
Blogger Scum said...

Someone post the photo, fast... Goatee and everthing.

April 21, 2005 9:24 p.m.  
Blogger mare said...

i have the photographic evidence. but it's in a box at home.

April 22, 2005 7:54 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home