Friday, February 04, 2005

The Flabbergasting of Vagabond

I'm rarely at a loss for words. I'm getting better at keeping those words to myself sometimes, but rarely do I not have a retort, answer, comment, or put down available when I need it. It's a gift, and for the most part I'm happy to have it.

Segue into today's topic, the young woman at work who made me speechless.

Background... I have an odd living arrangement. Gal and I live together in a huge apartment, that we share with two folks that she's known since pre-school. A straight female and a gay male, both around the same age as us. It's Will and Grace every night at my house.

Anyway, this young woman (hereafter referred to as M) at work was making idle chit-chat at lunch. Normally I'll work through lunch, or go for a walk, or surf. I don't usually go to the lunch room, and idle chit-chat is a big part of the reason.

A bunch of them were discussing living arrangements, and when I added my two cents, M looked at me, obviously confused.

"Isn't your girlfriend worried?"

"About what?"

"Well, that your gay roommate might... you know..."

By that I assumed she meant hit on me, or seduce me, or "infect me with the gay" or some such foolishness. But I had no response for what she said. I was completely caught off guard.

I ended up with a completely lame, "Uh... no."

But I do find it interesting that she was more concerned with our gay roommate, and not the single straight female.

God bless her pointed little head, she's reminded me why walking in freezing temperatures is preferable to the lunch room. And for that, I'm thankful.

3 Comments:

Blogger EcamirG said...

Dear Christ. You know us gays, always raping people in the showers and church confessionals and whatnot.

February 06, 2005 11:49 p.m.  
Blogger Surly Canuck said...

Agreed G. You guys have all these unreasonable expectations to apparently live up to. Like I'm supposed to oppress people and stuff, whether I feel like it or not.

February 07, 2005 12:00 p.m.  
Blogger Action Randall said...

I know the feeling. you can't choose who you work with, I'm afraid. There's a girl here that lowers her voice every time she says the words "black people"... i.e. "I think they picked that book to read because there are so many >black people< in the class."
I'm like, "Why are you whispering? They know they're black."

(btw, I should have some snowman stuff for you to look at by next weekend :)

February 07, 2005 2:45 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home