Friday, May 27, 2005

And so it goes...

Apparently I turn 30 today. Oddly enough, it doesn't feel any different than yesterday.

**********

Vag@20: Fucking hell! I can't believe I have to put up with this shit!

Vag@30: What shit?

20: Oh you know... Mom and Dad, university, working at the grocery store

30: Oh that's right. You hate everything right now.

20: And why not? Everything is shit. Everything sucks!

30: Hate to break it to you, but things are going to get worse before they get better.

20: What do you mean? It can't be worse than this!

30: Keep telling yourself that.

20: What do you mean?

30: You've got lots to look forward to. Getting screwed over, dropping out of school, constant heavy drinking, bad relationships, having plates thrown at your head, 8 concussions, stress and frustration.

20: Damn. What's the point then?

30: Love. Friends. Good times.

20: I've got that now. Well the friends part anyhow.

30: Trust me pal. Enjoy every moment while you can. It's not the destination that's important, it's the journey.

60: He's on to something there.

20: Everything is just so terrible... I hate it all.

30: Of course you do. You're twenty. You don't know any better. And there's nothing wrong with that.

20: But it gets better?

30: Yes. It gets better. It gets worse. It gets everything in between. And ten years from now, you'll remember being angry all the time, but you won't remember why.

**********

So... my advice to myself for the next 10 years. Plan for the future, live for the moment. Embrace opportunity. Go get it. I've lived a lot in the last 10 years. I hope to live more in the next 10.

7 Comments:

Blogger Scum said...

30 forgot to tell 20 about the frequent tours with the Stones. And, like, did 20 forget about important internal organs collapsing? I mean really.

May 27, 2005 11:45 a.m.  
Blogger Surly Canuck said...

Well, I wouldn't call them frequent tours. I mean 3 tours over 10 years is hardly frequent.

And I'd sort of forgotten about the internal organ thingy... was I 20 when that happened?

Damn, now I'm going to have to try and remember all the stuff that happened when I was 20!

May 27, 2005 11:55 a.m.  
Blogger Chris W said...

Happy 30th, Vag.

May 27, 2005 12:05 p.m.  
Blogger Rosyphant said...

Have a good one!

May 27, 2005 12:06 p.m.  
Blogger Surly Canuck said...

Chris & Jenn - Thanks!

Kate - Glad you liked it. =) And thanks to you too!

May 27, 2005 1:37 p.m.  
Blogger mare said...

i think you were 19 when you were hooked up to the percolator. good times.

not for you, obviously.

you're giving the wrong impression... vag @ 20 was a pretentious, snarky, blunt, frequently intolerable son of a bitch, no doubt, but he was also dead funny, and loyal, and kind. though he tried hard to be otherwise, he was deep down one of the good guys.

so remember that, as you take stock, mr. 30. we'll all catch up with you soon enough.

sincerely,
ms. 31st of august

May 30, 2005 11:16 a.m.  
Blogger Surly Canuck said...

I don't disagree Mare... I was all of those things, to be sure. Thanks for saying so though. =)

I just think at 20 you had to look a helluva lot deeper to find the good than perhaps you need to now. (Again, not saying that you occasionally don't have to look deep now) =)

May 30, 2005 11:47 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home