Monday, May 30, 2005

In Retrospect

Prompted by Scum, I'm trying to think back to things that happened when I was 20. My memory's pretty selective, so I've probably missed some stuff.

That was the summer of Black's Harbour if I recall correctly.
The year I developed a large hole in my lung.
The year I dropped out of university.
The year my father and I spoke without ire or rancor less than a dozen times
The year I started working at the grocery store
The last full year I lived with my parents
The year I met someone who would change my life in a most dramatic fashion
The year I wrecked the tendons in my right shoulder and learned to drive a stick left handed.
The year I spent in an emotional whirlpool and psychological sink hole.
The year I wasn't sure I would make it to 21 let alone 22 or 30.
The year I wasn't sure I wanted to make it to 21.
The year I learned that I didn't want to work in Radio
The year I first worked two 30 hour a week jobs to put myself through school.
The year I didn't sleep (well, not really... though there was a 6 month stretch where I was averaging 2 hours a night)
The year I finally learned that just because you love someone doesn't mean that you have to let them walk all over you. (of course, I learned this lesson about 5 more times too)
The year I was accused of having a heroin addiction
The year I learned that I could doze in my car for the three hours between when the bars closed and when I had to unload the trucks at the grocery store
The year my liver would like to forget
The year I punched a guy in the throat for ruffling my hair (proportional response was still foreign to me)
The year I used to roll out of bed, grab a cigarette and clean the paste out of my mouth with a swig of luke warm No-Name Cola.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home